01 September 2008

Sitting with a legend

I only had about 2 hours until we had to leave for the airport so I decided to swing by the Caesars poker room and see if I could jump into a game. The list for 3/5 NLHE only had one name so I put my name on the list. As I was waiting the brush announced that he had two seats open for a $65, 10-man sit-n-go. What the hell, I think, this shouldn't last too long so I book over to the table and draw for my seat. I draw seat number 4. As I'm walking around to my seat I pass seat 5, an older gentleman wearing a jacket with the "Oklahoma Johnny Hale" screened across the back.

Now I know it's a cliche that poker is the only sport (let's not get into that debate here) where any amateur can sit down and play with the pros, but this was truly happening. I don't know why Mr. Hale was playing a $65 buy-in game, but there he was, complete with his Best All-Around bracelet from the 1980 WSOP. For someone in his 80s, he sure played as aggressively as any young gun. Unfortunately Mr. Hale had to watch me move all in with 6c Tc vs. pocket Aces. A 6 on the flop and a second club on the turn made things interesting but I couldn't hit any of my 14 outs and I was quickly dispatched.

No comments: