08 June 2008

Blogger Tourney Recap



OK. Now that I'm done kicking around our imaginary dog (Mrs. T threatened to call the imaginary SPCA), I can sit back and reflect. As we were making dinner, Mrs. T asked me if I had fun and without hesitation I said "yes." I got to play poker for a couple of hours with a bunch of bloggers and experience the dream. Now, I have to admit going in I had no illusions of winning it all; I just wanted to play well and go deep. But as we got closer and closer to the final table I started to wonder if it was really possible.

Early on I payed fairly tight, but of course I couldn't pass up the chance to play the hammer:



Didn't catch many hands early on but I was able to make a few moves and take a few pots. My image must have been pretty tight because I showed only a few hands. Got lucky with a couple of outright steals, then when we hit the final table I got hit with the deck. I had KK twice in a row, Tens, Jacks twice, AK twice in a row. At one point I limped on the button with 45s and flopped the straight.

Going into 4 handed play I had about 50% of the chips and that's where it went all horribly wrong. Mistake number 1: I limped with the HAMMER. Shoulda raised. Mistake number 2: I called a fair-sized bet with a gutshot (4 6 8). Mistake 3: I called an all-in on the turn with a double-gutter. Of course, had I won, I would have been the massive chip leader and got to type "HAMMER!" Instead, I doubled up the second place person to give them the chip lead. And that's when the dream began to die a little piece at a time.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I learned a few things, got to chase a dream and can walk away knowing that I can hang with the bloggers.

No comments: